- Payne Creek Demo event will be held on May 10, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Several educational stations will be set up and there will be a hike into the canyon. The Natural Resources Council previously set aside up to $150 dollars to help with expenses for transportation or portable toilets. Firewise information for the adults and children will be covered at one of the stations.
- A banner for the Winston County Natural Resources Council and a banner for Firewise has been ordered from the Sign Shop in Moulton at a cost of $90 each. The group approved the cost of these banners.
- Photos of the Winston County 4-H Shooting Sports Team was shared with the group. The Council provided $200 to help cover the sponsored groups trip to the State Shotgun Competition.
- The FFA Forestry program requested $130 for the Forestry Judging Award winners, and this amount was approved by the Council. Jeremy gave a report on the event, which he helped set up and conduct.
- J. D. Snoddy gave a report on the Northwest Alabama RC and D Council's Eco-cold storage unit that is being used by area vegetable and fruit growers and Main Street Ministries. The unit provides low-cost temporary cold storage for farmers and others needing short term cooling for perishable items.
- The 4-H Round Up will be held on May 9, at the Double Springs Municipal Building. Several council members will be assisting with this event for Winston County 4-H'ers.
- Discussed Resource Allocation Committee funds available from U. S. Forest Service. The Winston County Commission will be submitting a proposal to use the $71,000 of funds allocated to Winston County.
- Andy invited all to the Walker County Landowner tour near Eldridge, on May 6. Click here for a printable flyer.
- Johnna said that AFC was working on fire breaks for landowners. She also said they had a new State Forester, Rick Oates.
- Andy, John, and Johnna reported on the pine beetle situation in the state at the present. There are major concerns about weak markets for pine if serious beetle problems were to occur.
Monday, April 24, 2017
Minutes of April Council Meeting
The Winston County Natural Resources Council met on April 20, at the U. S. Forest Service Office in Double Springs. In attendance were Mike Henshaw, Jeremy McDonald, John Creed, James Burnett, J. D. Snoddy, Johnna Franks, and Andy Baril. The following topics were discussed:
Posted by Mike at 8:14 AM