The following items were discussed:
- Johnna introduced Casey Hammack, a new employee with the Winston County office of the Alabama Forestry Commission. Casey is a Winston County High School graduate, has worked with the Winston County Road Department, and is trained as a volunteer fireman.
- Andy said the GPS receivers that we normally have to borrow from the Auburn Biosystems Engineering Department are now in his possession. This will make them much easier to access for FAWN and other activities.
- Discussed funding for FAWN, Junior Ranger program, and Fishing Derby. Funding requests will be submitted to the Winston County Smith Lake Advocacy, and the Alabama Conservation Law Enforcement Officers Association.
- Johnna said the balance in the treasury is $2,908.92.
- Discussed fundraising ideas for the council such as a tree sale.
- Slough Cleanup based at Clear Creek on April 27 and 28.
- Fishing Derby will be held on Saturday, June 4.
- Junior Ranger Program to be held on Tuesday, May 3, at Payne Creek Demonstration Area. The council approved up to $200 for transportation and other expenses for the program.
- Earth Day will be held at Hamner Park on Friday, April 22, and is sponsored by the Arley Women's Club.
- Andy reported on the Archery in the Schools competition that was held in Montgomery and over 1,200 youth competed.
- The Winston County 4-H Shotgun Shooting Sports Team competed at the State Competition at Red Eagle in Childersburg.
- Winston County Commission and Winston County Extension Office will receive the 4-H Centennial Youth Initiative Award on July 11th. Council members are invited to attend the program and reception to be held at the Winston County Commission meeting at 9:00 a.m.
- Alabama Water Watch Living Streams Workshop to be held at Camp McDowell on July 26-28.
- Discussed PLM point opportunities for loggers. Walker County will have a PLM meeting in September, the WCNRC may have a PLM meeting in late summer on Stewardship Contracts with the USFS.
- Allison reported on the Recreation Working group, which is part of the Bankhead Liaison Panel. They are currently working to identify recreation needs and to match them with available resources.
- National Forests in Alabama, including the Bankhead National Forest, are making changes to have centralized dispatching from Montgomery.