Monday, September 25, 2017
The Winston County Natural Resources Council met on Thursday, September 21, 2017. Members present were: Jeremy McDonald, Carl Godsey, Jimmy Madison, John Creed, Johnna Franks, Allison Cochran, and Kerri Roberts.
Topics discussed were:
• FAWN program. Members looked over programs and gave suggestions for spare people/stations. Carl offered to volunteer on one day of FAWN. John said he was able to assist both days. Allison said Houston Rec Center will be cleaned and prepped on Monday, October 2. A program walk thru will be held the same day at 9:00 am. Johnna said t-shirts were finished. Jeremy said he would pick up the shirts and distribute to the schools.
• Alabama Conservation Enforcement Officers donation for FAWN was discussed. Allison said they need a letter of request submitted before they can consider a donation.
• Kerri noted bed bugs had been confirmed in Winston County. The sample was identified by the Auburn lab after a homeowner found them in a recliner.
• Allison reminded everyone the Bankhead Liaison Panel will meet on Thursday, September 28th at the First National Bank in Double Springs. The only topic to be discussed will be the Southern Pine Beetle infestation as this is a major concern right now. Almost 200 sites of beetle infestation have been discovered by fly overs of the Bankhead National Forest. All Bankhead personnel are working on this issue. The Forest Health Division is very concerned. Mississippi’s infestation has affected more than 20,000 trees. Johnna says the Alabama Forest Service is also working on this problem. They are notifying any private landowners of known infestations.
• Kerri mentioned the “Day on the Farm” at Moody Hill Farm on Saturday, September 23. Mike and Kerri will be presenting a sun safety program. Carl noted he may be assisting with a forestry station.
• Kerri brought up the topic of nominating officers for the WCNRC. Currently there are two officers, Johnna Franks- Treasurer, and Mike Henshaw- Secretary. Positions of Chairman and Vice Chairman are currently vacant. Kerri noted anyone wanting to make a nomination for an officer position needs to speak with the current officers so a ballot can be developed. Allison suggested that once new officers are in place the WCNRC could reevaluate their mission statement. She noted that a well defined mission might encourage diversity of members.
• There was brief discussion about Houston Wood, a local business owned by Ellis Wade Junior. The members present were intrigued and want to set up a tour of the facility to learn more.
Minutes recorded by
Posted by Mike at 8:07 AM
Tuesday, September 19, 2017
The Winston County Natural Resources Council will meet on Thursday, September 21, at 9:00 a.m., at the U. S. Forest Service Office in Double Springs. Some agenda items include FAWN preparation and draft agendas, Liaison Panel Meeting, and pine beetle situation.
Posted by Mike at 1:04 PM
Thursday, September 7, 2017
Southern Region of the USDA Forest Service Waives Campground Fees on National Forests
ATLANTA (September 7, 2017) – The Southern Region of the USDA Forest Service is immediately waiving fees and making all campgrounds available for individuals displaced by the recent and forthcoming hurricanes, including Hurricane Irma.
Many National Forests were impacted by the recent storm and as a result, some of the region’s campgrounds are closed.
Please call ahead or check websites to determine what is open and available. Also, individuals requesting campsites need to check in with campground hosts at each site.
For more information on campgrounds in the Southern Region, please visit the respective forest’s website:
National Forests and Grasslands in Texas – (936) 639-8501
Kisatchie National Forest – (318) 473-7160
National Forests in Mississippi – (601) 965-1600
National Forests in Alabama – (334) 832-4470
National Forests in Florida – (850) 523-8500
Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest – (770) 297-3000
Ouachita National Forest – (501) 321-5202
Ozark-St. Francis National Forests – (479) 964-7200
Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area – (800) 525-7077
Daniel Boone National Forest – (859) 745-3100
Cherokee National Forest – (423) 476-9700
National Forests in North Carolina – (828) 257-4200
Francis Marion and Sumter National Forests – (803) 561-4000
George Washington and Jefferson National Forests – (540) 265-5100
USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).
Visitor Services Information Assistant
National Forests in Alabama, Supervisor's Office
2946 Chestnut Street
Montgomery, AL 36107
Caring for the land and serving people
Posted by Mike at 2:07 PM
Tuesday, September 5, 2017
Bankhead Liaison Panel meeting scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 28 to discuss Southern Pine Beetle Outbreak
The next meeting of the Bankhead Liaison Panel will be held Thursday, September 28, at 6:00 p.m. at the First National Bank in Double Springs, Alabama. The First National Bank is located at 15305 Highway 278 across from Jack’s in Double Springs. The meeting topic is the assessment and suppression of the Southern Pine Beetle outbreak on Bankhead National Forest. The meeting will adjourn by 8:30 p.m. The meeting is open to the public. Anyone interested in the management in the Bankhead National Forest is invited. If you have any questions, please call Allison Cochran or Blake Addison at 205-489-5111.
Posted by Allison C. at 5:14 PM