- Johnna reported that the balance in the treasury was $7,813.38. She also successfully applied for a $500 grant from the Alabama Forests Forever Foundation to support the Winston County FAWN program. Those grant funds have been deposited in the treasury.
- Chris said that grants to landowners were available from the Gopher Tortoise Grant Program for constructing feral swine traps. Allison noted that the EQIP program has an incentive program for building feral swine traps as well.
- Four new cogongrass infestations were located in the Natural Bridge Area. Chris said that the AFC has marked the spots and will report them to the Alabama Department of Transportation for treatment.
- The council agreed to give $200 to the Winston County 4-H Shooting Sports Team. This team has won the State Shotgun competition and will travel to Nebraska to the National 4-H Shotgun Competition.
- The Council's next meeting will be a field trip to Raymond Burnett's Quail Farm, on Thursday, June 21, near Addison. James Burnett has worked to set up this field trip next month. The informal tour will begin at 9:00 a.m at the farm. Anyone wishing to carpool to the farm should meet at the U. S. Forest Service office at 8:00 a.m. and we will depart shortly after 8:00.
- The Youth Fishing Derby will be held on Saturday, June 9, at 8:30 a.m., at the Black Warrior Work Center. The main attraction is the catfish, but this year's program will also feature a Wild Turkey Federation program for youth.
- Matt Brock is the new wildlife biologist on the Black Warrior Wildlife Management Area.
- Council discussed possible Helene Mosley Treasure Forest Award nominations.
- Johnna and Chris told the council about tentative plans for a logger training workshop tentatively planned for August.
- Council members recognized LaVerne and Allison for the National Award that they received in Washington, D. C. recently.
Thursday, May 17, 2012
May Council Meeting Minutes
Posted by Mike at 3:26 PM