|2011 Junior Ranger Program|
- Discussion of Best Management Practices (BMP's) in logging and water quality.
- TREASURE Forest Helene Mosley Award nominations due.
- Arbor Week Tree Sale to be held on Tuesday, February 22nd, at 9:00 a.m., at the Forestry Commission Office. Council members are urged to come 30 to 45 minutes early to help organize the sale. Since the trees are free this year, there may be a bigger demand than last year. More information is available at this link.
- James Burnett, County EMA Director, announced two training class that will be taught in coming weeks. On March 3rd, a Storm Spotter Class will be held at the Arley Fire Station at 6:00 p.m. The public is welcome to attend. On March 15th, a Basic Radiation Class will be taught at the Double Springs Municipal Building at 7:00 p.m. This class will be targeting first responders, law enforcement officers, and public health officials. James also said two important emergency drills will happen this summer, the Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant drill and an earthquake drill.
- LaVerne Matheson announced the Alabama River Alliance's Water Rally at Camp McDowell on March 11-13th. He also detailed the plans for the WCSLAI Lake Cleanup on April 30th. Lake residents will be recruited for the cleanup.
- A Bacteria Blitz by Alabama Water Watch is planned for March 15th.
- Poisoning of the Toomer's Corner Live Oak Trees.
- The Junior Ranger Program will be held at the Payne Creek Demonstration Area on Friday, February18th. The council is helping sponsor the program by providing the funding for the bus transportation for the Double Springs Middle School sixth grade students and teachers.