The Winston County Natural Resources Council met on February 15, 2024, at the U. S. Forest Service Office in Double Springs. The following persons were present: Matt Hannah, Andy Scott, Chris Horn, and Mike Henshaw. Casey Hammack, Treasurer, had sent word that the balance of the treasury was $6,671.52, with a $1,100.10 bill for the FAWN transportation that will be paid in just a few days. The following topics were discussed:
- Matt Hannah said that the Council would need to submit a simple online tax return, and the deadline for that was May 15.
- Andy said that Chris Horn would be the regular representative from the Forest Service on the Council.
- Short discussion was held about the officers for the Council in the coming year. Mike offered to take the Secretary position, and other vacancies will be considered at a later Council meeting.
- Andy and Mike gave a short review of the most recent Bankhead Liaison Panel meeting on January 30. The main topics were about Southern Pine Beetle Activity, Atmospheric Radiation Measurement research facility construction, Snake Fungal Disease, and panel membership.
- Andy said an official announcement about the Secure Rural Schools funding would be coming soon.
- Mike said that Camp McDowell was conducting a small prescribed fire which will be one of the first on that property in many years.
- Pine beetle activity on private property.
- Feral Swine control on the Bankhead National Forest.
- Winston County Tree Give Away will be held on Tuesday, March 5, at 9:00 a.m., at B & B Motors on US 278 in Double Springs.
- Walker County Tree Give Away will be held on Friday, March 1, at 8:00 a.m., at the Farmers Market in Jasper on Airport Road.
Mike Henshaw, V. Chair